Resources to help inspire and guide you, and curated to deepen your understanding into what it might mean to “be the change”…
Hello, my name is Steve M Nash and that’s my goofy smiling face on the right. I’ve been trying to understand the world ever since I became aware that I really did not understand it.
Awkward and angsty from a very early age then, it took me a long time indeed to fully understand that people know a lot less than they think they do.
- It took me tens of thousands of hours of reading self-help books, listening to spiritual videos and attending live trainings, actually.
- To understand that theories are not facts. The map is not the territory. And there is no right way to think, no “final answer” solution that always works, and nothing wrong with not being perfect.
Life really is a mystery; human beings too. The problems arise when we start to think otherwise.
So now I find myself creating SteveMNash.com in the year of Covid-19 (2020) – the Daily Delight newsletter, blog posts that might provoke, this resources page etc. – to help point you inward, to that which already knows to not exclude. Because no matter your beliefs or ideologies or identifications or anything, human beings are the solution – ALL of us, all parts of us (the dark and the light) – we just happen to be the problem, too.
What does it mean to be a human being, to be you, to be alive? And how does life actually work? Is this something we can even ever know?
The teachings that follow attempt to answer these questions.
I present them to you, in order of least useful but most radical.
NON-DUALITY (Advaita/”not 2″)
There are many that talk about non-duality, in their own way, but these people have had the most impact on me (so far):
- Tony Parsons: Open Secret
- Unmani: Die to Love
- Robert Saltzman
- Rupert Spira
- Francis Lucille
- Fred Davies
- Eckart Tolle: Power of Now
- Byron Katie: The Work
- Jeff Foster etc.
Do a search on Google or YouTube and see what resonates for you. If anything.
THE THREE PRINCIPLES (as first formulated by Sydney Banks)
Also known as The Inside-Out Understanding, this is a simple description of the human experience. Find out more on my sister site SMNash.com.
SPIRITUALITY & SELF-HELP
Where to start with ‘spirituality’ and ‘self-help. Hmm, how about this small sample of names (in no particular order)…
- Khalil Gibran, Rumi, Walt Whitman
- Guy Finley
- Jeff Foster
- Byron Katie
- Michael A. Singer
- Michael Neill: Inside-Out Understanding
- Hale Dwoskin: Sedona Method
Oh, and I once created a list of best self-help books. You can read that list here…
I’ve read (or will soon read) all of these books. But first, two books I wrote myself:
- Wonderful and Marvelous – Daily Empowering Quotes (About You!) – available here
- A Year in the Life of a Conscious Soul (Called YOU) – 365 Daily Conscious Living Quotes – available here
Note: some of the quotes in these books get sent to subsribers daily in my Daily Delight newsletter
- Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
- Illusions by Richard Bach
- The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
- The Untethered Soul by Michael A. Singer
- The Deepest Acceptance by Jeff Foster
- A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle
- The Wisdom of Insecurity by Alan Watts
- Jed McKenna’s Theory of Everything by Jed McKenna
- Living Nonduality by Robert Wolfe
- The Ten Thousand Things by Robert Salzman
- Loving What Is by Byron Katie
- The Inside Out Revolution by Michael Neill
- The Missing Link by Sydney Banks
- A Course In Miracles by Helen Schucman
- Undisturbed by Adam Oakley
- The Secret of Letting Go by Guy Finley
- The Relationship Handbook by George Pransky
- 21 Lessons for the 21st Century by Yuval Noah Harari
- Waking Up by Sam Harris
Find a not-exhaustive list of websites, and so-called ‘thought leaders’ that I think are trying to make “the right difference”. I’d be surpised if all inspire you equally. Let me know your thoughts – contact me here. But first…
Tristan Harris is concerned with attention – your attention. Specifically, how the big tech companies (Facebook, Twitter, Google etc.) are misusing it in the pursuit of profits – TristanHarris.com
Daniel Schmachtenberger works in preventing global catastrophic risk. Apparently. For me he is a rare human being that tries to see the big picture; a “sense maker” in an unparalleled time of disinformation and agenda-based ‘truth’ – Daniel Schmachtenberger on YouTube
Alan Watts died in 1973, 32 years before YouTube was created. Now millions watch videos of his talks, are inspired (and confounded) by the simplicity of his words. Bridging the gap between eastern philosophies and western, the language might sometimes be dated, but the message certainly isn’t – Alan Watts on YouTube
Other inspiring individuals that are finding their way to make a difference: Greta Thunberg (teenage climate change activist), Yuval Noah Harrari (author), Sam Harris (author), Owen Cooke (motivational speaker), Daryl Davis (example of the power of listening without judgement)
- More In Common – https://www.moreincommon.com/newnormal/
- Good News Network – https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/more/about-us/
- Jo Cox Foundation – www.jocoxfoundation.org
Inspirational (or provocative) Videos?